Love, Life, and the List by Kasie West

e-ARC, 384 pages
Release Date: December 26, 2017
Published by: HarperTeen 
Read from: December 3-9, 2017
Companion, 1 of 3
Source: Edelweiss
For fans of: Contemporary, Romance, YA 



     Seventeen-year-old Abby Turner’s summer isn’t going the way she’d planned. She has a not-so-secret but definitely unrequited crush on her best friend, Cooper. She hasn’t been able to manage her mother’s growing issues with anxiety. And now she’s been rejected from an art show because her work “has no heart.” So when she gets another opportunity to show her paintings Abby isn’t going to take any chances.
     Which is where the list comes in.
     Abby gives herself one month to do ten things, ranging from face a fear (#3) to learn a stranger’s story (#5) to fall in love (#8). She knows that if she can complete the list she’ll become the kind of artist she’s always dreamed of being. But as the deadline approaches, Abby realizes that getting through the list isn’t as straightforward as it seems… and that maybe—just maybe—she can’t change her art if she isn’t first willing to change herself.
     This is the first in a set of three standalone books with crossover characters.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I loved Kasie West's contemps since her very first one, so every time a new one is added, I automatically add it to my TBR. This one was no different. I added it to my TBR before I even really know what it was about. And while it wasn't my favorite of her books, I still realy enjoyed it. 
"Move your ooze along'"
2%
     Abby has been painting all her life, so when the chance comes up to be in an art show, she can't let it pass her up, just because someone feels like she has no heart. So, she makes a list to show that she does. It has things that she needs to do to gain the experience. In completing these tasks, she finds out more about both herself and her art. 
"They don't make him feel anything.'"
13%
     The only reason this wasn't my favorite, is because I was NOT a fan of the love interest. I really wanted it to end up a different way, but I saw it coming from earlier in the story. He was fine up until that one point, but after that I just couldn't say I liked him anymore. What he said just didn't feel like an excuse to me. As she said at one point, if it's something you really want, you'll do it. I know that's just me, but I really was hoping for a surprise at the end. 
""But seriously, he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. But doesn't he? I wanted to say. You feel the same way. You're missing that piece when you look at me too. The piece that makes you feel something.'"
13%
     But I did like the fact that Abby was an artist. I love seeing students getting close to senior year or during senior year that gives spotlight on other aspects of school. It reassures my students that there are other places to go, like technical schools, art schools, and other alternatives. I love the focus on art school in this one. 
"Uh... you're getting weird now. You want me to case hospitals? And by the way, gross."
17%
     And of course, I loved West's writing style. I loved the summery feel (especially since where I stay we had some unexpected snow!) and the super snark that emannated from Abby and her grandpa. Their banter legit made me read every interaction between them twice lol They literally made this book for me. And the spa scene warmed my heart. I hope somehow her grandpa makes a small apperance in the next companion lol 
"Can't. Family BBQ at my dad's work. Can you call me with an emergency in about an hour? EHst kind of emergency? The best friend kind. I don't know. You'll think of something.'"
22%
     Although this wasn't my favorite West, I still really enjoyed it. I can't wait to see who the next books include, I'm already guessing at who it could be. 
Overall, I give this


Labels: , , , , , , ,