Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

Audio, 13 CD's
Release Date: July 29, 2014
Published by: Penguin Group US
Read from: August 4-September 17, 2017
Stand-alone
Source:  Library
For fans of: Thrillers, Romance, Mystery, Contemporary, Adult, Bombshell Endings, Books to TV, Multiple POV's, Realistic Fiction


     Sometimes it’s the little lies that turn out to be the most lethal. . . .
     A murder . . . a tragic accident . . . or just parents behaving badly?
     What’s indisputable is that someone is dead.
     But who did what?
     Big Little Lies follows three women, each at a crossroads:
     Madeline is a force to be reckoned with. She’s funny and biting, passionate, she remembers everything and forgives no one. Her ex-husband and his yogi new wife have moved into her beloved beachside community, and their daughter is in the same kindergarten class as Madeline’s youngest (how is this possible?). And to top it all off, Madeline’s teenage daughter seems to be choosing Madeline’s ex-husband over her. (How. Is. This. Possible?).
     Celeste is the kind of beautiful woman who makes the world stop and stare. While she may seem a bit flustered at times, who wouldn’t be, with those rambunctious twin boys? Now that the boys are starting school, Celeste and her husband look set to become the king and queen of the school parent body. But royalty often comes at a price, and Celeste is grappling with how much more she is willing to pay.
     New to town, single mom Jane is so young that another mother mistakes her for the nanny. Jane is sad beyond her years and harbors secret doubts about her son. But why? While Madeline and Celeste soon take Jane under their wing, none of them realizes how the arrival of Jane and her inscrutable little boy will affect them all.
     Big Little Lies is a brilliant take on ex-husbands and second wives, mothers and daughters, schoolyard scandal, and the dangerous little lies we tell ourselves just to survive.

*This book is part of the adult mystery/thriller genre! I have featured it in The Crime Scene as a way to feature the few Adult and New Adult titles I am beginning to read in this genre! There's not much of a difference, however the scenes may be more graphic and there may be more explicit scenes in some of them."  


*MY THOUGHTS*

     So the only reason I started listening to this was almost all the people I work with were talking about the show. Everyone thought the show was so good but no one had read the book. So, of course, me being me, I had to get my hands on it and read it first. I can never watch the movie before I read the book. 
     I was immediately intrigued by the mystery/thriller part of it. The cover doesn't exactly scream mystery to me, so I was pleasantly surprised when it says there was a murder. Not that I think murder is cool or anything lol But it made me excited that the book had a better plot than I thought. 
     Unfortunately, what turned me off from it was ALL THE POV'S. I'm normally ok with multiple ones, but this one had wayyyyy too many. There were some police officers, all the main characters that were moms, some other moms, and even some of random dads. Towards the middle it got to be too much and it started dragging a bit. Like, some of it was unnecessary. I didn't see the point in adding info from all of them. 
     As for the mystery, I loved it. I couldn't guess who did it or who it was that was dead. As y'all know, I can normally guess who is the culprit, but this time I couldn't guess either one. Moriarty did such a great job of keeping the reader in the dark. I guess it was because of all the POV's. It was definitely successful, but it still caused some problems in the middle as well. 
     I also love how it dealt with so many other topics than just giving a fictional story. It was interesting to see how they all dealt with all the different topics all in one story. It all boiled down to the very last event that happened and I think it was handled very well.
     This book was a surprise to me. I don't normally like adult books this much, and I also don't normally guess the culprit wrong either. Since finishing it, I have added all of Moriarty's books to my TBR. I can't wait to see what else she's written.
Overall, I give this

This book has been out a while. Have you read it?
What did you think? 
Have you watched the show? 
What did you think? 

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,