Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab

Hardcover, 510 pages
Release Date: June 13, 2017
Published by: Greenwillow Books
Read from: July 8-12, 2017
Monsters of Verity, #2
Source: Library
For fans of:  Action, Paranormal, Fantasy, Dark, Monsters, Series, Series Enders, YA


     THE WORLD IS BREAKING. AND SO ARE THEY.
     KATE HARKER isn't afraid of monsters. She hunts them. And she's good at it.
     AUGUST FLYNN once yearned to be human. He has a part to play. And he will play it, no matter the cost.
     THE WAR HAS BEGUN.
     THE MONSTERS ARE WINNING.

     Kate will have to return to Verity. August will have to let her back in. And a new monster is waiting—one that feeds on chaos and brings out its victims' inner demons.
     Which will be harder to conquer: the monsters they face, or the monsters within?

*MY THOUGHTS* 

     This Savage Song caught me completely by surprise last year. Having only read one other book by Schwab, I wasn't prepared to LOVE it as much as I did. Nevertheless, after finishing it, I was DESPERATE for this book. 
"...it turned out that being alone lost some of its charm when you didn't have a choice."
pg. 10
     Kate Harker is hunting monsters. One of the only people who still believe they're a threat. August Flynn is a monster who wanted to be human, but now he knows his duty. But now, they see they must come together again to make sure the monsters don't win the upcoming war. 
"I don't have to be invincible. [...] I just have to be stronger than everyone else."
pg. 210
     I'm not sure what it is about Verity and Prosperity, but I fell in LOVE with those places. We don't get much details about it, but I saw it in my mind as a dark, gritty place, where things go bump in the night. And every time I opened the book, I fell into that dark place and the rest of the real world fell away. Schwab didn't give many details about the surrounding area, but she was able to show the world instead of just telling us about it. 
"...only fools shouted when they wanted others to listen. Smart men spoke softly,expecting to be heard."
pg. 229
     Then there was the characters. I fell for them all over again. I loved August's gentleness and Kate's feral nature and how they gelled together. Then there were all the other characters, both new and old. They all had a purpose and were all completely rounded. 
"I'm sorry to tell you that good deeds don't prevent bad ones..."
pg. 243
     The ONLY issue I had with this was the ending. This story built up for 480 pages, and the climax seemed to be stretched over the rest of the pages, but it was a lot smaller than I was expecting it to be. Basically, I felt like the buildup was on Level 15, and the big war scene was on like 9. But the very ending DID almost break me, and to anyone else that reads this, Godspeed. 
"I didn't stop fighting. [...] I just got tired of losing."
pg. 344
     I haven't read a 500 page book this fast in a long time. I was addicted to turning the pages of this book and I couldn't stop. I was sad that I read it so quickly. It really is that good y'all! 
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , , ,