Listen Up: The Black Book by James Patterson and David Ellis


I don't normally talk about the audio books I listen to because most of them are backlist, but I really want to start! So, I'm starting Listen Up to write short reviews on the books that I listen to! 

Audio, 9 parts
Release Date: March 27, 2017
Published by: Little Brown and Company
Read from: June 20-30, 2017
Stand-alone
Source: Library 
For fans of: Contemporary, Realistic Fiction, Thriller 


     How can you prove your innocence when you can't remember the crime?
     Being a cop runs in Billy Harney's family. The son of Chicago's Chief of Detectives whose twin sister, Patty, also followed in their father's footsteps, there's nothing Billy won't give up for the job, including his life. Left for dead alongside his tempestuous former partner and a hard-charging assistant district attorney out for blood, Billy miraculously survives. But he remembers nothing about the events leading up to the shootout. Charged with double murder and desperate to clear his name, Billy retraces his steps to get to the bottom of what happened. When he discovers the existence of a little black book that everyone who's anyone in Chicago will stop at nothing to get their hands on, Billy suspects it contains the truth that will either set him free...or confirm his worst fears.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I was a HUGE fan of James Patterson a long time ago. Back when the Women's Murder Club was still in single digits lol But when I started college I kind of tapered off from him. But when I heard this book was coming out and he was saying this is some of his best work in 20 years, I knew I had to get my hands on it. 
     Billy Harney is a cop, right-alongside his twin sister and his father. One morning he's found dead next to his old partner and the district attorney. But he beats the odds and survives. Just to be charged with double murder. He has to remember what happened, to clear his name and to make sure he finds the little black book that's missing.
     Maybe I missed out on some huge part of the book, but I don't really see this one being his best in 20 years. I liked his work when he wrote by himself more. He does great with others, but I just love his original work more than anything. I can see what people liked about it, but I wouldn't claim it was my favorite of his.
     There was absolutely too much going on in this book. It had too many backstories happening and too many side-stories. It made for a choppy plot line. Maybe that's the way they wanted it to be? But it was a bit annoying. But because of this, it DID make me guess the wrong person. And for that I'm grateful. I seem to ALWAYS gues the right person and it was so great to finally be wrong this time.
     As far as the audio, I really loved the narrator.  Edoardo Ballerini  did an amazing job with doing all the voices and even the accents. They didn't always sound authentic, but they seemed good enough for me. It made the drive to work so much enjoyable.
     This book wasn't so much my favorite of his, but I did like it. I honestly liked the Women's Murder Club more than this one, but I digress. To each his/her own. But I still want to see what else he comes out with!
Overall, I give this


Labels: