Bookishly Ever After by Isabel Bandeira

Kindle e-book, 350 pages
Release Date: January 12, 2016
Published by: Spencer Hill Contemporary
Ever After, #1
Source: Own
For fans of: Books about Books, Hot Literary Guys, Chick-lit, Contemporary Romance, Diversity, Series Starters, YA


     In a perfect world, sixteen-year-old Phoebe Martins’ life would be a book. Preferably one filled with magic and a hot paranormal love interest. Unfortunately, her life probably wouldn’t even qualify for a quiet contemporary.
     Everything changes when Phoebe learns that Dev, the hottest guy in the clarinet section, might actually have a crush on her. So, Phoebe turns to the heroines in her favorite books for advice on a personality overhaul. Becoming as awesome as her book characters isn’t as easy as it sounds and when another girl nets Dev for herself right from under Phoebe’s nose, she’s crushed.
     Then, to up the suckage, she gets assigned as his co-counselor at a sixth grade camp and has to spend an entire week tied to the hip with the one guy on the planet she wanted to avoid. Can she make it through the potential danger of romantic bonfires and nature walks without Dev figuring out she’s still not over him, or will her counseling career end in emotional disaster? Can she ever go back to her happy world of fictional boys after falling for the real thing?

*MY THOUGHTS*

     If this wasn't the most accurate contemporary book I've ever read, I'm not sure what is! lol I say this because of how much I related to it, even as a grown adult. And I'm not talking about just the books, I mean the awkwardness and building myself up with quotes as well lol This book definitely described my life and it was very cute to read about something that hit so close to home!
"Normalcy is over-rated."
1%
     Phoebe is quite the introvert. She reads and she knits at the mere age of 16. She loves her world of fiction (just like the rest of us) but once she gets a taste of reality she doesn't know how to handle it. How can she go back to just her books now that she sees what real life swooning is like?
"I want you  to practice safe book lending, you know."
12%
     I really liked this book because it really went in-depth about us booknerds. There's so many quotes that I found hilarious or fell in love with because I could relate to it so much. Like the one about the "staring like he was an advanced reader copy" I literally laughed out loud at that one. Any book that I can relate to as much as I did with this one deserves at least 4 stars. Phoebe's awkwardness and failed attempts at flirting and bookish nature definitely hit close to home and I was aable to sympathize more with her because I could tell how she felt. 
"I loved new books. The crisp pages, the smell, and the sense of potential as I carefully broke in the spine made getting them one of the best feelings in the world. Getting one at a book launch with the actual author when the author is a rockstar flying around the country to release the third book in her four book series and has a crowd of fans sitting outside the bookstore and waiting for hours to meet her? Electric."
14%
     I also liked that there was some diversity in this one! The love interest is a POC! There are some nudges to his culture that I loved getting a glimpse of. I did a Google search and learned more about a movie industry that I didn't know much about and that I now find awesome. I love when books can help you learn a little about other cultures. 
"Books are powerful things."
15%
     As for the romance, it was definitely a slow burn, but I chalk that up it being a series starter. But when they finally got it together, it was definitely worth it. In the span of 95%-98% that was all the romance, but I found myself swooning the entire time. There's book quoting, face caresses like in books, and last but not least, admission that he's ok with her reading. Of course I fell head over heels for him! lol 
"Well meaning people are going to always try to butt into your life and make you fit their idea of what's best."
20%
    The only reason I didn't give this five stars was because I was a little upset that it seemed that Phoebe never realized she didn't need to be those fictional characters(...wait.... lolol) , she just needed to be herself and that's what he liked most. Sure it was mentioned, but she skimmed over it. I just wanted her to realize she WAS good enough for him and that the fiction she idolizes isn't always better than reality. Even if "normalcy is overrated," I for some reason just needed her to realize that's not ALWAYS true! 
"And there was Lexie again in the wings, staring at Dev like he was an advanced reader copy of the last book in a series."
59%
     This book was super cute and such a quick read. I can't wait to see what Bandeira does with book two. I'm hoping for a companion novel that tells about one of their other friends from the group. I'm also hoping for some more excerpts from the books that Phoebe reads becauseeeee Im sorry but the leprechaun actually sounds good lol Bandeira your debut was a definite success for me and I can't wait to see what Phoebe and friends (and her BOOKS!) do next! 
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,