The Fixer by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

ARC, 366 pages
Release Date: July 7, 2015
Published by: Bloomsbury USA Children's
The Fixer, #1
Source: ATWAT
For fans of: Scandal (the tv show), Mysteries, Thrillers, Politics, Realistic Fiction, 

     Sixteen-year-old Tess Kendrick has spent her entire life on her grandfather's ranch. But when her estranged sister Ivy uproots her to D.C., Tess is thrown into a world that revolves around politics and power. She also starts at Hardwicke Academy, the D.C. school for the children of the rich and powerful, where she unwittingly becomes a fixer for the high school set, fixing teens’ problems the way her sister fixes their parents’ problems.
     And when a conspiracy surfaces that involves the family member of one of Tess's classmates, love triangles and unbelievable family secrets come to light and life gets even more interesting—and complicated—for Tess.
     Perfect for fans of Pretty Little Liars and Heist Society, readers will be clamoring for this compelling teen drama with a political twist.
 

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I really have no idea how I'm supposed to write this review. Not because it was terrible and I don't have anything to say, and not because it was amazing and I just can't put it into words. But only because this book was so good I can barely say anything because it might be a spoiler. NOTHING in this book is as it seems. And when I say nothing, I mean NOTHING. If you think you know, you don't. 
"You've been taking care of him, She continued softly, 'Who's been taking care of you?'"
pg. 14
     Tess gets in trouble and as it turns out, it's the last straw. She's shipped away to live with her sister who has a job that everyone but Tess understands. As time goes on, Tess gets introduced to her sister's job in a way she never thought possible. Finally she gets it. Everyone in DC isn't nice, and everyone in DC isn't the enemy...
"Trouble always had a  way of finding me.'"
pg. 78
     I know that freaking second paragraph didn't really tell much about the story, but really that's all I can say. EVERYTHING in this book is a plot twist. When I tell you this I mean it. Don't get attached to anyone or anything because it will either be wrong or taken from you lol I say this because as you know I watch enough cop tv and read enough thrillers to know how to pick the person doing all the bad things. I have also read enough to know how to guess plot twists. And even though I tried so hard to guess both of these, I didn't get either one. This alone added an extra star to my rating lol 
"Watch out for the other guy.'"
pg. 83
     Another thing I loved about it was the connection it had to Scandal. I can't lie, I was going to read this before it had a synopsis because I like Barnes' thrillers. (If you haven't read The Naturals, SHAME ON YOU.) But then the blurb came out and the first thing I saw was "This Thriller YA is Scandal ..." and I was hooked. I LOVE Scandal. So much so I have changed my availability to making it so I don't work on Thursday nights. Me and the boyfriend order in and then veg out in front of the tv. So when I saw that there was a book like it, I had to read it. And not to be cliche or anything, but I'm so glad I got to read this! There's an Olivia Pope, a Harrison, and a Huck (a definitely milder version tho haha). I hate to not give this book it's own identity though, so I'll just say they are both amazing. Tess is her own person, but terribly stubborn. She holds grudges for years and won't listen to anything. Even apologies. Maybe it was a plot device, but she was getting on my nerves a little. I really wanted her to just stop and think about what was really going on around her and if she really thought she could handle it. 
"Sugar and spice and everything nice, right up to the point she wasn't.'"
pg. 148
     This book caught me off guard. I was expecting to like it, but I wasn't expecting it to be a contender for my favorite thriller of 2015 already. But it certainly made the list. I unexpectedly, laughed, swooned, and CRIED. So much happened in this book that I NEED want everyone to read. 
Overall, I give this 

Labels: , , , , , , , ,