The Heir by Kiera Cass

Hardcover, 368 pages
Release Date: May 5, 2015
Published by: Harper Teen 
The Selection, #4
Source: Own
For fans of: The Bachelor, Romance, Dystopia, Sparkly Covers, Chick-lit, Royalty, YA, Companion/Series

     Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won Prince Maxon’s heart. Now the time has come for Princess Eadlyn to hold a Selection of her own. Eadlyn doesn’t expect her Selection to be anything like her parents’ fairy-tale love story. But as the competition begins, she may discover that finding her own happily ever after isn’t as impossible as she always thought.
 

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I knew this series was big, but I didn't know just HOW big until I read this book. The ending was the cause of a HUGE uproar from teens that I met at RT 2015 and they were NOT happy. I can't wait to see how she Kiera Cass handles this next book that comes out.
"You are Eadlyn Schreave. You are the next person in line to run this country, and you will be the first girl to do it on your own. No one,' I said, 'is as powerfl as you.'"
pg. 5
     Twenty years later King Maxon and Queen America have four children and Ilea is upset about things happening in their communities. To help calm them, Maxon and America have decided to hold a Selection for their oldest, Princess Eadlyn. This changes everything as it's the first Selection from a woman, but Eadlyn doesn't have the silly expectations of actually finding love. But the Selection comes to reveal things aren't always what you expect.
Everyone keeps saying that it might be good for me. What does that even mean? I'm smart and beautiful and strong. I don't need to be rescued.' Ahren shrugged. 'Maybe not. But you never know if one of them might need to be.""
pg. 121
     The one thing I hated was that it seemed like there was no plot change from the other books. Even though this one was twenty years later and it was a woman's selection, it just seemed like the same story. But there were some things that did change. Such as the way the Selection was handled.
"I'm not sure anyone knows what they're looking for until they find it.'"
pg. 162
      Eadlyn was really spoiled and it was getting a little annoying. She seemed to think that no one could help her run the county and that she would be the only one who could get anything done. She went in not wanting to give anyone a chance. Sounds like her mother. It just seemed like I'd read the exact story before and the fact that Eadlyn was such a brat didn't exactly make me like it any more than the original.
"They just want more for themselves. I can't say I blame them, but the people are confused. They think their lives are in our hands, but they're not. 'They're in their own.' 'Exactly.'"
pg. 268
     What I did like was the ending. (Looks around for teen girls who might be trying to kill me. If you've read it, you would understand why liking what happens is a bad thing lol ) It made for a really good plot twist. I was expecting them to do something like that, but not to leave it on a cliff hanger like that. I'm guessing at all the possibilities that could happen if the ending played out like I think and I'm really interested in how Cass will handle the next book.
"This was why love was a terrible idea: it made you weak. And there was no one in the world as powerful as me."
pg. 148
     All in all, I felt like I have read this book before. I can't lie, this series could've been complete without adding this Selection to the mix, but Cass is smart. Adding these two books to the series and ending this one the way she did, opens her up to so many possibilities to continue this series. Even after the next book is published.
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , , , ,