Miss Mayhem by Rachel Hawkins

Hardcover, 273 pages
Release Date: April 7, 2015
Published by: Putnam Juvenile
Rebel Belle, #2
Source: Bought (Pre-ordered)
For fans of: Fantasy, Mythology, LOL, Romance, YA

     Life is almost back to normal for Harper Price. The Ephors have been silent after their deadly attack at Cotillion months ago, and best friend Bee has returned after a mysterious disappearance. Now Harper can return her focus to the important things in life: school, canoodling with David, her nemesis-turned-ward-slash-boyfie, and even competing in the Miss Pine Grove pageant.
     Unfortunately, supernatural chores are never done. The Ephors have decided they’d rather train David than kill him. The catch: Harper has to come along for the ride, but she can’t stay David’s Paladin unless she undergoes an ancient trial that will either kill her . . . or connect her to David for life.

*MY THOUGHTS*

      Rebel Belle was one of my favorites of last year, so it's no guess that I was desperately waiting for this one. I just knew it would be filled with adventure and mayhem and the wit and sarcasm that only Hawkins can bring. Although it wasn't as good as the first, there was something that kept me tied to this book.
"You've never been able to admit that you were in over your head."
pg. 85
     Miss Mayhem starts exactly where Rebel Belle left off. Coalition is over and things are starting to get back to normal (well as normal as can be) and Harper is beginning to get back to what she's always done: EVERYTHING she can. But unfortunately, her Paladin powers don't go away just because she wanted them to. Instead she gets word that the Ephors now want to train David....
"Guilt is such a weird feeling, a combination of sad and sick that I was getting too used to feeling."
pg. 139
     Sadly, I wasn't as big a fan of this one as I was of the first one. In the first one there was so much action and adventure going on and I just couldn't put it down. In this one, there was still some of the action and things going on, but it just didn't hang on to me like the first one did. I hadn't wanted to put Rebel Belle down, but with this one, I just read it like "I'll finish it when I get to it." Not that it wasn't memorable, just that it wasn't quite as good. In other words, to me it was the dreaded sophomore novel.
"... Aunt Jewel always said you gathered more flies with honey than vinegar."
pg 158
     I also wasn't a huge fan of that ending. What in the world made you think that was ok, Hawkins? Does that mean there will be three books? Because that was just a weird thing to do. I can't tell whether or not there will be more or if it's just over now. And that bugs me. I don't know if I should stop looking forward to something else or to just give up. PLEASE give me another one.
"Disappointment has a taste, I swear. Something kind of bitter in the back of your throat that you can''t quite swallow. It seemed like I was tasting it a lot these days."
pg. 167
     Although this wasn't my favorite, it was certainly a quick, fun read. If there's not a third book, I'm sure I will definitely read this series again and again.
Overall, I give this

     

Labels: , , , , ,