The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg

e-book, 292  pages
Release Date: January 1, 2015
Published by: Point
The Lonely Hearts Club, #1
Source: Overdrive via the Library
For fans of: Romance, Contemporary, Chick-lit, Music, LOL, Hot Literary Guys, YA

     Love is all you need... or is it? Penny's about to find out in this wonderful debut.
     Penny is sick of boys and sick of dating. So she vows: no more. It's a personal choice. . .and, of course, soon everyone wants to know about it. And a few other girls are inspired. A movement is born: The Lonely Hearts Club (named after the band from Sgt. Pepper). Penny is suddenly known for her non-dating ways . . . which is too bad, because there's this certain boy she can't help but like. . . .

     There were two things that made me want to read this book. One, I have heard so many things about Eulberg and I wanted to know more about her writing style. Two, I heard the sequel to this book was soooo good and I'm a sucker for contemps that don't get enough hype. So I decided to give it a try. 
     Penny has had her share of heartaches, but this one time, it was the last straw. She was really hurt by this one and she vowed she'd never let it happen again. So she makes a club where she begins as the only member. But suddenly, things take a drastic change and she ends up having more than she bargained for... 
     The writing style in this was so easy to follow, which made for a quick, easy read. To make it better, it was so funny. Penny was hilarious and her best friends were funny as well. It was truly a light and fluffy romance which I was in the mood for after reading something pretty heavy. I'm not much of a mood reader, but I enjoyed this so much more since it was not a part of my strict schedule. I was reading it I because I WANTED to. 
     I saw a lot of times this book was called a feminist group, and that their ideas were feminist ideas and it was a feminist group, and more. It may have been, but at the same time, I felt that it was a girl power, womance type of thing. The group was basically telling girls not to depend on what dudes or society wants them to do, but to do whatever it is they want to do. In this book we see girls turn into women, and women take control of their love life versus letting a dude control it. I loved seeing that because many times in real life that doesn't happen. Seeing women take control of their life made me like this story so much more. 
     Last but not least, for this book to be called The Lonely Hearts Club, the MC found the love of her life and I couldn't have been happier. Although I called it from the exact moment that he walked into the story, I was happy to see them get together. I knew they would be happy together once they were finally ready. And man, the swoonage once things started turning in their favor! I LOVED him so much for the karaoke night scene and it immediately made the list of one of my favorite swoony moments from YA. 
     If you're looking for a light, fluffy, romantic read, this one should be the one for you. It features all of these things plus more and ill leave you with a smile on your face after you've turned the final page.
Overall, I give this 


Labels: , , , , ,