Beyond the Book: In Honor by Jessi Kirby


This bookish feature is an original by me! I had the epiphany for this the other day when I was writing out my 15 bookish confessions. (See #7) A lot of times I like to go "beyond the book" and do something that will connect me with the book and characters a little more. It will pop up on Mondays! Be on the look out for which books caught my eye and made me go beyond just reading it! 

In Honor
"Honor? What a pretty name! Like, so..... important sounding, you know?"
pg. 143

     The original route I had with this Beyond the Book was to tell you about a road trip I just went on, but then I got to this part and decided to do something a little more personal. As some of you may know, my name is actually not Nikki, but Patience. I go by Nikki because no one ever gets my name right and sometimes it gets annoying. (Nikki comes from my middle name, Nicole.) For instance, how can you call me "Princess?" They don't even look the same. I've also gotten "Patti-ence" or "Pa-ten-say." Like really, my name is a real word, how can you get it wrong? 
     Most times when I tell people my real name, I get a response like this one. "Really? Like for real, for real?" And sometimes I get "Ohhh that's pretty, patience is a virtue!" Once or twice I've even gotten "Ohhh, that's weird.." But I love my name. And it has a really interesting story behind it that I haven't told to just everyone one. Although Honor doesn't reveal why her name is this in the story, I'm going to tell you all the story behind my name! So, here goes!
     When my mom was pregnant with me, she had so many complications. From getting in a car wreck and pushing me almost all the way around to her side, to the doctor (yes you read that right) telling her I was going to grow up and have spina bifida and that her and my dad could not support a disabled child so they should abort me. (Yes that really happened....) But my mom had just had a miscarriage before me and she knew she couldn't purposely not have the child she wanted so bad. So, she asked God everyday for the rest of her nine months for patience, and then at the end of the nine months, she had Patience. 
     In the end, I came out healthy and very cute if I do say so myself lol So there you have it. Kinda spiritual and I get if that's not for everyone, but this is how I got my name! This character's reaction to Honor's name made me feel like I wasn't alone! I hate when I get people that react all weird to my name or act like my mother was a hippie because she named me that. I'm glad to know I'm not alone, even if it is in the fictional world!

Anyone not know that was my real name?
Anyone have any other interesting stories on how they got their name? 

Have you ever had such a connection with a book that you had to go beyond just reading it? 
Join me on Mondays with Beyond the Book! 

Labels: