The Young Elites by Marie Lu

ARC, 353 pages
Release Date: October 7, 2014
Published by: Putnam Books for Young Readers
The Young Elites, #1
Source: Around the World ARC Tours
For fans of: Action, Dystopia, Fantasy, YA  


I am tired of being used, hurt, and cast aside.
     Adelina Amouteru is a survivor of the blood fever. A decade ago, the deadly illness swept through her nation. Most of the infected perished, while many of the children who survived were left with strange markings. Adelina’s black hair turned silver, her lashes went pale, and now she has only a jagged scar where her left eye once was. Her cruel father believes she is a malfetto, an abomination, ruining their family’s good name and standing in the way of their fortune. But some of the fever’s survivors are rumored to possess more than just scars—they are believed to have mysterious and powerful gifts, and though their identities remain secret, they have come to be called the Young Elites.
     Teren Santoro works for the king. As Leader of the Inquisition Axis, it is his job to seek out the Young Elites, to destroy them before they destroy the nation. He believes the Young Elites to be dangerous and vengeful, but it’s Teren who may possess the darkest secret of all.
     Enzo Valenciano is a member of the Dagger Society. This secret sect of Young Elites seeks out others like them before the Inquisition Axis can. But when the Daggers find Adelina, they discover someone with powers like they’ve never seen.
     Adelina wants to believe Enzo is on her side, and that Teren is the true enemy. But the lives of these three will collide in unexpected ways, as each fights a very different and personal battle. But of one thing they are all certain: Adelina has abilities that shouldn’t belong in this world. A vengeful blackness in her heart. And a desire to destroy all who dare to cross her.

It is my turn to use. My turn to hurt.
 

*MY THOUGHTS*

     As you all know, I'm not a huge fan of fantasy and dystopias, but I decided to give this one a try to add on to me expanding my horizons. I'm so glad I chose this one, because it was dark and gritty and just the book I was in the mood to read.
"Embellish your faults... They will turn into your assets."
(ARC)
     There were some times where I wasn't as enthralled as I was in the beginning, but after getting through it, it became so much better. The first couple pages had me reading it nonstop. There are so many things that happen in jus thte first 30 pages or so. It's a lot to process, but it's interesting and the writing is good. But then in the middle I kinda coasted through. It wasn't as good as the beginning, but it still held draw dropping moments that made me have to take a break every so often. 
"Pain enhances beauty."
(ARC)
     I will say this book was full of surprises though. Lu actually stumped me throughout this entire book. Normally I'm one to guess at plot, and normally I'm right, but this book actually got me. Everytime I thought I knew something, it was wrong. Especially the end... If you've read it, you know exactly what I'm talking about.
"Something big is happening."
(ARC)
     And while we're talking about the ending, let's talk about that epilogue. Seriously, the way that set up book two has me already wanting to e-mail Lu and beg her for the nest part. That's the one thing I hate about reading much anticipated books around release day... I read them so quickly and the wait for the next one is torture. In the epilogue we see another plot twist and it's the complete ending of the book! Well played Lu, well played. 
"Prisoners are always so damn desperate, when they stare death in the face."
(ARC)
     Even with not being a huge fan of the genres, this was a hard book not to like. I was impressed with so much in this one and I can't wait to see what else this series has in store. I guarantee, with an ending like that one, it only get better. 
Overall, I give this


Labels: , , ,