Not in the Script by Amy Finnegan

ARC, 367 pages
Release Date: October 7, 2014
Published by: Bloomsbury USA Children's 
If Only, #3
Source: ATWAT
For fans of: Fluffy Romance, Movies, Love Triangles, LOL, Contemporary, Realistic Fiction

     Millions of people witnessed Emma Taylor’s first kiss—a kiss that needed twelve takes and four camera angles to get right. After spending years performing on cue, Emma can’t help but wonder if any part of her life is real anymore . . . particularly her romances. She’s been burned by heartthrobs (and the press) one too many times, but there’s something about Emma’s co-star on her new TV show Coyote Hills that is irresistible. Jake Elliott is gorgeous, smart and actually cares about Emma’s charitable foundation. But she’s sworn off on-set relationships. They always end badly . . . don’t they?
     This third novel in the deliciously fun If Only romance line proves that the best kinds of love stories don’t follow a script.
 

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I desperately wanted to read this one after remembering how much I liked Wish You Were Italian. Butttt by this one I wasn't as impressed. Don't get me wrong, it was the still the super cutesy romance, but it really felt like that was it. There wasn't really a plot and it just seemed to be people walking around with a regular life. Except they were in Hollywood too. 
"If a boy looks like he belongs in a museum, there's a pretty good chance his head is solid marble."
pg. 1
     Now when I say there was not plot, obviously there was, but it was just so predictable. I knew what would happen way when the characters were first introduced. Then as we learned more about them, I could tell exactly where things were going. Maybe it was the book reader in me, or maybe it was just the writing style, I'm not exactly sure. 
"A gracious actor is a working actor..."
pg. 49
     I also wasn't a huge fan of the writing style. It was really bland. Until it got to the part about them acting and the actual climax of the story. That's when I got really interested, but by then the story was almost over. It just didn't seem like it was pulling me in very much. I thought this was a little strange because I actually have a Bachelor's Degree in Mass Communications- Broadcast Production, so I thought I would eat up anything dealing with a camera, film, and acting. But this one just wasn't impressive to me. 
"Some things can't be faked"
pg. 64
     I DID like the way even though they are by different authors, the rest of the books in these companion novels still do connect. Albeit it was a very small way, but I still caught on to it. Now I'm really interested in reading Fool Me Twice to see if there are other references in that one as well!
"I've kissed enough frogs to know none of them turn out to be princes. ."
pg. 91
     I also liked the cutesy romance. Yes there were some times where it got a little eye-rolley, but it was still really cute. I have a weak spot for dudes that aren't afraid to show how they really feel about a girl, and Jake is definitely that kind of guy. This book is a dual point of view book going between Emma and Jake and being inside Jake's head makes him one of the sweetest guys I've ever read about. As for Emma, I was a little upset with her love interests in the beginning, but it was great to see her grow up and finally find out what she really should be looking for in a relationship. I was so happy when she finally got rid of all the dudes that were upsetting her and got with someone that made her so happy.
Overall, I give this
   

Labels: , ,