Broken Hearts, Fences, and Other Things to Mend by Katie Finn

Hardcover, 339 pages
Release Date: May 13, 2014
Published by: Feiwel & Friends
Broken Hearts & Revenge, #1
Source: NetGalley/Own
For fans of: Romance, Summer Lovin, Chick-Lit, Contemporary, Humor, Realistic Fiction

     Hot sun. Blue waves. New romances. Old secrets.
     Gemma had her summer all planned out, but it takes a sharp turn when she gets dumped and finds herself back in the Hamptons after a five-year absence.
     Being there puts her at risk of bumping into Hallie, her former best friends (that is, before Gemma ruined her life). But people don't hold grudges forever. Do they?
     Gemma intends on making amends, but a small case of mistaken identity causes the people she knew years ago—including Hallie and her dreamy brother, Josh—to believe she's someone else. As though the summer wasn't complicated enough already.
     Filled with summer sun, boys, and friendships gone sour, Katie Finn's first novel in the Broken Hearts and Revenge series sizzles and delights.
 

*MY THOUGHTS*

     This entire story was full of second hand embarrassment and laughs that made people give me dirty looks when I read in public! It starts out light and fluffy and turns into something crazy with a twist that you'll never see coming!
"But it was becoming abundantly clear that the mistakes I'd made- and the people I thought I'd left behind- hadn't actually  gone anywhere.."
pg. 58
     This one will have you laughing out loud with no regard for where you're reading. I can't count on my hands how many times I laughed out loud while I was reading this. Katie Finn definitely has a great sense of humor. But of course, with that laughter came some second hand embarrassment... I also can't count on my hands how many times I had to put the book down for a little because I was so embarrassed by what happened to Sophie/Gemma. (You'll understand if you've read it lol) There were so many things that made even me blush.
"That summer seemed ill-fated from the start."
pg. 59
     As far as the writing style, there's no complaints at all for me there. As everyone may now know, Katie Finn is indeed Morgan Matson. And we all know how I feel about her. I once called her the Queen of Realistic Fiction. She's an amazing author and can write realistic fiction as if you're a fly on the wall and you're watching everything play out. But the pacing of the novel in this one was a little weird. It seemed long and drawn out, but I think that was just my anticipation on wanting to get to the part on how they found out about her. But otherwise, there wasn't anything I'd change.
"I took a breath, then went to adjust my shoulder strap. Which was when I realized it wasn't there."
pg. 116
     The only thing I DID have a problem with, was the freaking main character. Omg she was soooooo selfish. I didn't realize that was it until the end when she started wondering why the real Sophie was being accepted by other people. She wanted that from the beginning but then when it happened she was really iffy and wanted her all to herself. And then, she was soooo spiteful. I can't believe she did that to that chick and didn't understand the consequences. Did you really think that doing something like this would be ok? Yeah, not even a little bit.
"No reward without risks."
pg. 298
     But the ending was a killer. It definitely made me flip pages backward and re-read it again just to make sure I had read it right. I was definitely thinking things would go an entirely different way. Now I'm thinking if that's only book one, what will it be like in the rest of the series! Hopefully with all the things that happened at the end we can see Gemma as more grown up and not the bratty teen she was in this one.. And here's to hoping that the writing style and everything else stays the same!
Overall, I give this


Labels: , , , , ,