The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black

Kindle Book, 432 pages
Release Date: September 3, 2013
Published by: Little Brown, Books for Young Readers
Stand-alone
Source: Own
For fans of: Vampires, Dystopia, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Sparkly Covers, YA

     Tana lives in a world where walled cities called Coldtowns exist. In them, quarantined monsters and humans mingle in a decadently bloody mix of predator and prey. The only problem is, once you pass through Coldtown's gates, you can never leave.
     One morning, after a perfectly ordinary party, Tana wakes up surrounded by corpses. The only other survivors of this massacre are her exasperatingly endearing ex-boyfriend, infected and on the edge, and a mysterious boy burdened with a terrible secret. Shaken and determined, Tana enters a race against the clock to save the three of them the only way she knows how: by going straight to the wicked, opulent heart of Coldtown itself.
     The Coldest Girl in Coldtown is a wholly original story of rage and revenge, of guilt and horror, and of love and loathing from bestselling and acclaimed author Holly Black.

*MY THOUGHTS*

      When I first heard about this book I didn't want anything to do with it. I hated everything about vampires because of the girly sparkly ones that were popping up in pop culture. But once ARC's of this book started going out, people started telling me to read it because it would change my mind about vampires. I wanted to like them again, so I gave it a try.
"She appeared to have been caught as she was trying to crawl away, one arm extended and the other gripping the carpet."
1% 
     The best part about this book is the dark, grisly way the vampires are portrayed. They are dark, unforgiving, and just down right evil. In this story, they walk the streets of their respective Coldtowns and cannot leave. The "traditional" things such as garlic and sunlight effect him, but even knowing all that, some people still want to be them instead of using these things on him.
"All infected people and captured vampires were sent to Coldtowns, and sick sad, or deluded humans went there voluntarily. It was supposed to be a constant party, free for the price of blood."
12%
     The biggest qualm I had with this story was the characters. Tana was way too trusting. She helped her ex boyfriend, Aidan, who made her do a lot of things she shouldn't have had to do. And trust me when I tell you, Aidan was an ass. Even in the beginning of the novel when he was being introduced to the story he was a douche. He was kissing other people in front of her and then asking her to do the same. And then in Coldtown he gets worse. I won't say how because of spoilers, but he annoyed me to no end.
"Death has its favorites, like anyone. Those who are beloved of Death will not die."
16% 
     Another thing that bothered me was the plot. It was all over the place. It had certain times every other chapter that it would jump back to the past. I understood it, but at the same time, it was like an info dump. I would have preferred it as wrking their back story into the story or even in a novella. It just seemed to be long and drawn out. Especially when the plot wasn't very moving. I was expecting Coldtown to be so scary and full of danger, but the way it was described was just desolate. I imagined it like the cities in The Walking Dead. Nothing but abandoned stores and homes. I just wished for a little more action I guess.
"Vampires are predators. And we're prey. You've got to never forget it."
20% 
     Speaking of action... What the hell was that ending? It should have been a huge fight and something should have happened. I was so bored, I was daydreaming of my next book. The only reason I didn't DNF it was because I only had 5% left in the book and it would have been a shame to have wasted all that time into it.
"Even when I freed myself, I found new chains"
90% 
     In short, the only thing I really liked about this book was the way it portrayed vampires. But in all honesty, this was another vampire novel I could have done without. The characters, world building, and plot was lacking, but the vampires will give you something to look forward to.
Overall, I give this

Extra: 

Another reason I decided to read this was this creepy looking trailer. After watching it, I was definitely hyped up for the book! 


Labels: , , , ,