The Beautiful and the Cursed by Page Morgan



Hardback, 341 pages
 Release Date: May 14, 2013
Published by: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
The Dispossessed, #1
Source: Own
For fans of: Gothic, Mystery, Romance, Paranormal, Historical, YA

     After a bizarre accident, Ingrid Waverly is forced to leave London with her mother and younger sister, Gabby, trading a world full of fancy dresses and society events for the unfamiliar city of Paris.
In Paris there are no grand balls or glittering parties, and, disturbingly, the house Ingrid’s twin brother, Grayson, found for them isn’t a house at all. It’s an abandoned abbey, its roof lined with stone gargoyles that could almost be mistaken for living, breathing creatures.
And Grayson has gone missing.
No one seems to know of his whereabouts but Luc, a devastatingly handsome servant at their new home.
Ingrid is sure her twin isn’t dead—she can feel it deep in her soul—but she knows he’s in grave danger. It will be up to her and Gabby to navigate the twisted path to Grayson, a path that will lead Ingrid on a discovery of dark secrets and otherworldly truths. And she’ll learn that once they are uncovered, they can never again be buried. (From Goodreads)
*MY THOUGHTS*
     I'm not a huge fan of historical fiction, but when I saw that this book featured gargoyles, I knew I didn't have a choice. I HAD to read this. I never expected to love it as much as I did though. 
     Historical fiction is one of those genres that are hard to get right. You have to research the way everyone walked, talked, and acted as well as the world that you're trying to portray. It seems like there's so much more that goes into it besides just getting your story across. And Page Morgan did just that. She not only created an amazing story, but one that "Took me Away" all the way to Paris in 1899. For a time while I was reading this it rained and it completely finished out the setting. Dark, gloomy, and not knowing what to expect. It was so good. 
     Even though the genre was so amazingly executed, that wasn't what kept me coming back to this book. It was the fresh, unique paranormal creature that had me hooked. If you know me, I DESPISE vampires and werewolves because they're "the norm" and I don't like reading about them anymore. They've just been over done. So when I heard this was about gargoyles, I desperately wanted to read this. (I had a WoW post for this and it appeared on a TTT post  or two of mine.) That's just how excited I was about the fact that something new was coming to the scene. 
     And the best part of all was the action. It was action packed and I simply devoured it. I believe I lost all ten nails at the end. I was so nervous! Morgan really knows how to draw a reader in! The action plus the descriptions she gave is enough to give anyone nightmares. (That horse and Bertrand scene definitely gave me some!) This book is the poster for paranormal reads. It has a great villain  a unique paranormal creature, and a world filled with drama. This read is truly epic. 
     The only thing I didn't like was the romantic tension in the book that actually blossomed in the end but between the wrong people! Ugh what I was looking for never amounted to anything!(Between Luc and Ingrid!) Gah I was so excited when they finally did that one thing, but then after that nothing else happened. I was definitely crushed. Hopefully in the rest of the series we'll get more of them. I am definitely a fan of them together! 
     It's obvious I was a huge fan of this one. This debut by Morgan is a force to be reckoned with. The next book in the series is another one I cannot wait for. With this novel, Morgan has earned a spot in my favorite new to me authors. 
Overall, I give this


Labels: , , , , ,