The Selection by Kiera Cass

Hardcover, 327 pages
Release Date: April 24, 2012
Published by: HarperTeen
Series: The Selection, #1
Source: Library
For fans of: Post apocalyptic, Sparkly Covers, Chick lit, Romance, Dystopian, Young Adult

     For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.
     But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
     Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined. (From Goodreads)

*MY THOUGHTS*
     Well, what can I say about this book? I had so many mixed emotions about it, its hard to put what I want to say in words. There were some things I LOVED about it, but there were other things I HATED about it. But there were so many people talking about it that I just had to give it a try. Yes I fell victim to the hype. 
     This isn't something I would typically have on my radar because I'm not really into dystopians, but because it wasn't like hardcore, all about the different world building, I decided to give it a try. In The Selection, America is NOT hoping to to be Selected. She wants nothing more than to spend the rest of her life with her love Aspen. Unfortunately Aspen is in a lower caste and wants better for America. He leaves her broken hearted, making her promise to sign up for the Selection. Suddenly America becomes one of the Selected and is whisked away to the palace where she meets Prince Maxon. He makes her want things she never knew she wanted in the first place. 
     Ok, this may sound stupid, but I love the show The Bachelor (yes I watch reality tv... so what?!) and this is what it reminded me of. I really felt like I was reading a season worth of it. I also liked the idea of the futuristic USA. As I stated, I'm not a huge fan of dystopians, but because of the romance in this one it balanced out for me. And with Cass giving a history of the country (Il'lea) I wasn't completely lost about what happened before hand or what was causing them to do things so differently now. As for the romance, I LOVED Prince Maxon. He is so genuine and sweet. And although the romance is getting more heated between Prince Maxon and America, it didn't seem to be rushed. Especially with the conditions that America sets with Maxon when she first gets there. 
     What I didn't like was the world building and the writing style. I wanted to know so many more details about the palace and what it looked like and other treasures it held. It seemed as if the story was held in the same rooms; the dining hall, the Women's Room, and America's room. It would have been nice to see more of the grounds. As for the writing style, I think it lacked emotion. Although America is so distraught about losing Aspen, I didn't feel that in the story. Then when she began to have feelings for Maxon, I didn't feel that either. I didn't feel much of anything from or for America. She seemed indecisive and like a hypocrite. She criticized Marlee about something, but wasn't she doing the exact same thing? I'm just saying.... 
     In all, this story isn't too bad, but I'm not sure it lived up to the praise that everyone put on it. But, with that being said, I will be continuing on with the series in hopes that she comes to her senses and sees that Aspen is a jerk and Maxon is who she needs in life!
Overall, I give this 

Note: As I do not read any reviews on the books I read before I write my own, I had no idea about the controversy surrounding this book and the author. The rating is solely based on my opinion of the book and that alone.

Labels: , , , ,